There are various popular formats, such as JPG and PNG, that provide images in a very small size but with worse quality than larger image formats, such as TIFF. In terms of its usage in social networks, the WebP format arises and eventually convert WEBP images formats such as JPG, GIF, and PNG.
However, some image editors and browsers do not handle this type of WebP picture. WebP is a low-loss compressed image format developed by Google in 2010 to replace older formats. When your transparency channel is included, convert WEBP images in WebP may be up to 45 percent smaller.
More efficient images are obtained in this manner, which helps to enhance loading during online browsing, especially given the enormous number of images that are often presented on a regular basis. The WEBP format provides images that are visually comparable to those encoded using existing standards such as JPEG and PNG, but at a much smaller file size.
Because they make online pages load faster, you’ll usually see them on desktop browsers. However, while support for the WEBP format has expanded since Google announced it in 2010, it isn’t the most suitable format (especially with legacy image editing applications). As a result, multiple techniques are provided below to convert WEBP images to the generally compatible JPG and PNG formats. You’ll also discover how to save animated WEBP images in GIF format.
Using Browser Extensions, Convert WEBP Images
If you come across a WEBP picture when surfing websites on the desktop versions of Chrome or Firefox, you can use a browser extension to download it to your PC or Mac in convert WEBP images to JPG or PNG format. A quick search for “WEBP” in the Chrome Web Store or the Firefox Add-ons Store should provide a plethora of extensions with WEBP image conversion functionality, but here are a couple of hand-picked extensions you can use right away:
Google Chrome: save the image as a type.
Firefox: Save webP as a PNG or JPEG.
Chrome Web Store extensions can also be installed on Chromium-based web browsers such as Microsoft Edge, Opera, and Vivaldi.
1. Download and install the Save Image as Type extension.
2. In any browser tab, right-click the image you want to save and select Save Image.
3. From the Save image as type menu, choose Save as JPG or Save as PNG.
Then, choose Save and specify a location in the internal storage. You may also save any JPG or PNG image in WEBP format by selecting the Save as WEBP option.
1. Download and install the Save webP as PNG or JPEG extension.
2. Launch a new browser tab and right-click the image you want to save.
3. Select “Save website as” and choose between JPG and PNG as the file format.
The plugin offers a variety of conversion options for the JPG format, specifically at various quality levels. Choose JPG if you don’t want to lose visual quality (100). You can also choose GIF (V), which will immediately send the URL of the animated WEBP image to EZGIF.com, where you can convert and download it in GIF format. More information on online file converters can be found lower down.
Paint or Preview can be used to convert WEBP images
If you’ve previously downloaded a WEBP image, simply drag it back into the browser window and save it in the JPG or PNG format using the extensions listed above. You may also convert a WEBP image to JPG or PNG using the native Paint (Windows) or Preview (Mac) programmes. Although you can save them in GIF format, neither application supports animated WEBP images.
1. Select “Open with” > “Paint” from the context menu when you right-click the WEBP picture.
2. In Paint, go to the File menu and select Save As. Then, choose either a PNG or a JPEG image.
3. Enter a location and click “Save.”
Note: If you are unable to open the WEBP picture in Paint, download and install the Webp Image Extension from the Microsoft Store and try again.
1. Launch Preview by double-clicking on the WEBP image.
2. From the Edit menu, choose Export.
3. Select JPEG or PNG from the Format option.
If you select JPEG, use the Quality slider to adjust the level of compression used in the conversion. Then click Save. It’s also worth noting that Preview can batch convert WEBP images to JPG and PNG formats. Using a dedicated third-party app (see the following section) is more convenient.
Using Third-Party Apps, Convert WEBP Images in Bulk
The best way to batch convert many WEBP images to JPG or PNG formats is to download and install a free image conversion application. Here are three utilities for use on desktop computers.
IrfanView (Windows Only)
IrfanView is a lightweight and quick graphics viewer that allows you to batch convert images. It supports the WEBP format if the IrfanView All Plugins pack is also installed.
1. Get IrfanView and the IrfanView All Plugins pack and install them.
2. Launch IrfanView. Then, under the File menu, choose Batch Conversion/Rename.
3. Select the WEBP images you want to convert and click “Add All.”
Then, choose an output format and click Start Batch.
WebpConverter (Only for Mac)
If you have a Mac, you can use the Mac Program Store to download and install the WebpConverter app to batch convert WEBP images to JPG or PNG formats.
1. Get and install WEBPConverter.
2. Queue the files for conversion by clicking the Add Files button in WebpConverter.
3. Select the output format from the option at the bottom-left of the screen, such as Webp to JPG.
Then click Convert.
XnConvert (for Windows and Mac)
XnConvert works on both Windows and macOS and can batch convert images (including WEBP) between popular image formats. It also offers a plethora of output options for customising the conversion process.
1. Get and install XnConvert.
2. Open XnConvert and select the WEBP images you want to convert.
3. Navigate to the Output tab to configure your image output choices (keep or delete metadata, preserve colour profiles, remove the originals, etc.).
Then click Convert.
Animated WEBP Images to GIF Conversion
There are numerous ways to convert WEBP images to JPG to GIF format, but the quickest is to use an online conversion tool. There are several services available for this purpose, but a few standouts are:
Most websites let you upload one or more animated WEBP images for conversion. After that, select GIF as the output format, begin the conversion process, and save the converted files to local storage. You can also insert the URLs of any WEBP images for conversion. This allows you to download them in GIF format directly.
Begin by converting your WEBP images
You should have been able to convert WEBP images to JPG, GIF, or PNG using the tips provided above. If you come across WEBP images on your Android or iPhone, you can easily locate image conversion tools on the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store to save them in a different, compatible format. Alternatively, you can use any of the file conversion websites listed above.