Zoom is one of the most widely used video conferencing services on the planet. This application is used by millions of people to host or join video meetings with family, friends, colleagues, and coworkers. You can still participate in meetings with just your microphone if your Zoom camera not working.
However, face-to-face communication is always preferable, therefore it’s worth the effort to fix the Zoom camera not working. However, Zoom may occasionally fail to detect your camera, which can be extremely inconvenient. You may, of course, still take part in meetings using just your microphone.
If you wish to persuade others to adopt your ideas or business approach, however, you must address the Zoom camera not working. If they can see you, you’ll be more convincing.
Fix Zoom Camera Not Working on Laptop
If you’re using an external webcam, here’s how to fix the zoom camera not working. Check to see if your camera is properly connected.
Gently press the camera’s edges
- Unplug the webcam wire and look inside the computer port for any dust spots.
- Disconnect all other devices before connecting the webcam back in.
- It’s possible that some of them are interfering with your camera.
If your laptop has a dedicated physical switch for enabling or disabling the camera, turn it off and on many times.
- Check to see if this fast solution worked.
- Everything should be updated.
- That includes your Zoom app, the Windows 10 operating system, and camera drivers.
- Click on your profile image and select Check for Updates to update Zoom
To install the most recent version of Windows 10, go to Settings Update & Security Windows Update and click the Check for updates icon.
- Finally, make sure your camera drivers are up to current.
- Right-click on Camera in Device Manager and select Update Driver.
If the problem remains, repeat the steps above, but this time chooses Uninstall device to uninstall your camera drivers.
Restart your PC after that. The most recent driver version will be installed immediately on your PC.
Install Your Camera Driver Manually
You can also manually download and install your camera driver from the website of your camera manufacturer.
Look at your privacy settings
The privacy settings in Windows 10 prevent software and hardware from accessing your Zoom camera not working.
That could be one of the causes of your camera’s inability to zoom.
- Go to the Privacy section of the Settings app.
- Then select Camera from the App Permissions menu.
- Allow apps to access your camera is one of the options available.
Turn it on by toggling the switch
Allow desktop apps to use your camera by going to Allow desktop apps to access your camera. Then enable this option to provide Zoom access to and use of your camera.
Re-register your camera
We’ll utilize PowerShell to accomplish this. Select Windows PowerShell by pressing the Windows + X keys (Admin). This enables you to run PowerShell with administrative privileges and permissions.
Enter the following command to register your Camera app:
- -allusers Get-AppxPackage
- Re-register the camera app PowerShell with Microsoft.
- WindowsCamera | Foreach Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)AppXManifest.xml”
After that, exit Windows PowerShell and reopen Zoom.
- Check to see if the camera problem has been resolved.
- Close any other apps that could have access to your camera.
- Close any other programs or apps that might be using your camera.
It’s possible that they’re preventing Zoom from identifying and accessing your camera. These apps may be running in the background even though they are not visible on the screen.
For example, if you used Microsoft Teams previously but did not end all relevant processes, the app may still be active.
Navigate to the Processes tab in Task Manager
Then look for any apps that might be accessing your camera.
Select End Task from the context menu of each app.
Zoom Camera in Browser Isn’t Working
It’s most likely because of your current browser settings that Zoom’s web version doesn’t recognize your laptop’s camera.
The following instructions are for Google Chrome:
They may, however, be simply adapted to any Chromium-based browser.
- Go to Site Settings in Settings > Privacy and Security.
- Then choose View permissions and data stored across sites from the drop-down menu.
- In the search bar, type zoom.us and press Enter.
- To access the authorization options, select zoom.us and click the little arrow icon.
- Give Zoom permission to use your camera.
- Your browser’s refresh button should be pressed.
Examine the outcomes
You might also wish to clean the cache and turn off your extensions.
- Lenovo Devices: Zoom Camera Isn’t Working
- Turn off the camera privacy option in Lenovo Vantage if you’re having problems with the Zoom camera on a Lenovo device.
- Type ‘Lenovo’ into the Windows Search box.
Choose the Lenovo Vantage
- If Lenovo Vantage isn’t already installed on your device, download it from the Microsoft Store.
- Then pick Audio/Visual from the Hardware Settings menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to find Camera Privacy Mode.
- This option should be disabled.
Why is the Zoom camera not working in Windows 11 and 10?
Though there are many underlying concerns, we’ve identified the most prevalent ones below:
- You’re using an earlier version of Zoom, or your Windows settings are incorrect.
- Zoom is unable to access the camera due to a lack of permission.
- Camera drivers that are no longer supported
- There are issues with the Zoom itself.
Determine which of the aforementioned factors is causing the camera trouble in Zoom. Revert to the previous ones if you started getting the error after altering camera settings or adjusting camera permissions (both app and system).
To summarise, if the Zoom camera not working, it is possible that your privacy settings are preventing the program from accessing your camera. Check your settings, then restart your laptop after updating Zoom and your camera driver.